It enrolled 1829 patients who were randomized to undergo either PTCA or CABG
1) No significant differences in survival at both 1 and 5 years
2) With a survival rates of 89.3% in the CABG group and 86.3% in PTCA group.
3) The rates of in-hospital myocardial infarction and stroke were greater in the CABG patients compared with the PTCA group- 4.6% and 2.1% for Q wave MI
-0.8% and 0.2% for stroke
4) For patients with diabetes – 5 year survival was 80.6% in CABG compared with 65.5% in PTCA group.
The difference in mortality was seen in insulin dependent and non-insulin dependent diabetes
5) The need for repeated revascularisation after initial intervention was greater in PTCA group-
At 5 years - only 8% of the patients in CABG group had undergone additional revascularisation procedures
-Compared to 54% of those assigned to PTCA
31% of PTCA patients eventually underwent CABG.